Sizzling Outback: A Journey of Campfire Cooking in the Heart of Australia

Sizzling Outback: A Journey of Campfire Cooking in the Heart of Australia

What could be better than a road trip through the wild and rugged Australian Outback? How about enjoying delicious meals cooked over a campfire, featuring the freshest local ingredients? 

During my many journeys up north in Australia, I found a new appreciation for the simplicity and ingenuity of campfire cooking. 

In this post, I’ll share my experiences, campfire meals, and helpful tips for those looking to spice up their next Outback adventure.

As I traversed the sun-scorched landscapes and admired the breathtaking beauty of the Outback, I quickly realized that the heart of Australia’s culinary scene lies within its diverse and unique ingredients. 


The rich taste of Australian snapper, the sweetness of fruits from local markets, and the surprising taste of donkey stew – these experiences have left a mark on my taste buds and travel memories. 

Packing for my Outback adventure

Here’s a breakdown of everything I packed to enjoy campfire cooking in the Outback.

The lifesaving camp oven I couldn’t live without

I think I will surprise you here because my trusty camp oven is actually a small kitchen cast iron pot. It’s perfect for my small family trips and its versatility allows me to prepare everything from shortbread, burgers, and pizza to hearty stews and cakes.

My essential cookware and utensils for the journey

I always make sure to pack a Potjie Pot for larger family gatherings, followed by a frying pan, which is perfect for morning pancakes or dinner steaks. 

Additionally, I bring heat-resistant gloves to make moving pots or opening covers easier, a small broom to remove any dust from the pot cover (I still remember the taste of dust in my goulash), a small shovel for creating a charcoal bed and topping up the charcoal on the pot, and a wooden spoon.

The art of food storage on the go

Embarking on an Australian Outback trip often evolves into a multi-week or even a few months-long adventures. It’s essential to stock up on provisions, including an extra week’s worth of food for unforeseen circumstances. 


Smart packing is the key, as the rugged Australian terrain teems with potholes, bull dust, and corrugations. Glass jars and fragile items must be packed compactly to minimise movement. I try to pack lots of dry pasta, rice and beans. 

My camper trailer fridge brims with fresh veggies, while the car fridge transforms into a freezer filled with meat, ham and bacon. 

This allows my family to have enough ingredients for a good meal for an extended period of time.

Stocking my Outback pantry: The food essentials I rely on

As I mentioned, I rely on versatile, non-perishable food such as pasta, rice, and beans. These items are not only easy to store but also serve as the foundation for countless delicious meals. 

Additionally, I favour pre-mixed cake mixes (an excellent base for banana bread or chocolate cake creations), ready-to-use sauces in jars (like honey and mustard, perfect for chicken stew), and instant bread mixes. 


This allows me to pack exactly what I need without cluttering my pantry with various ingredient boxes. With just a bowl and a wooden spoon, whipping up delightful dishes became a breeze

The versatile spices that brought my dishes to life

A selection of spices always turns my simple outback pantry into a treasure trove of culinary possibilities. 

I always have spices, such as dry garlic, paprika, and oregano, to add depth to my dishes. 

Chilli flakes and ground pepper add a touch of heat, while a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg introduces a warm, exotic twist to our meals.

My strategies for keeping ingredients fresh and organized

Whether going on a long or short camping trip, assigning a specific place for all our food and equipment is crucial. If something isn’t returned to its proper spot, it can create chaos in my routine (especially when I can’t find my instant coffee in the morning). 

In my opinion, the key to successfully preparing various dishes, even complex ones, lies in proper organisation. 

With limited kitchen space, it’s essential to know exactly where each item is stored and easily accessible. For example, I store all my spices in small jars that perfectly fit my daughter’s old lunchbox.

0 Comments